A few years back, I had a detailed discussion with Dan Langer, the owner of JCR Inc, at the PGA Merchandise Show. It was great to have Dan walk through the upgrades to the original JCR DL550, now called the DL550s.
The upgraded bag has some minor improvements over the original and makes a great bag even better.
In 2015/2016, when JCR Inc first launched, we were highly impressed with the company and the Firm’s owner and designer’s expertise and credentials.
A few years later, the company matured and made headway in some big box golf stores and across the internet. The JCR DL550S Stand Bag refinements should continue the company’s growth.
See our 2023 Buyer’s Guide for our preferred carry/stand bag specifications. Click here.
JCR DL550S Stand Bag Features and Specifications
The JCR DL550s Stand Bag weighs roughly 5.8 pounds, including the shoulder straps.
This weight makes the DL550s one of the heavier among our recommended models. Clearly, JCR wants a full-featured, sturdy bag that will pass the test of time.
Getting Clubs In and Out of the Bag
The bag has a six-way, air mesh cushioned opening with six full-length dividers. The top opening measurement is 9.5″ x 8.5″.
This configuration is as close to our ideal top opening as a bag can come. Compared with other bags, the top divider padding is a plus.
Ease of Carrying the Bag
In terms of carrying the bag:
- The carry system is based on a four-point dual strap with a padded center hub
- The DL550s has upgraded the hip pad with a new, thicker four-stripe, air mesh cushion.
- The bag has a top rim, spine, and bottom handles for easy lifting options.
When we tried the bag on, we found the straps to be comfortable, and they promoted a balanced weight distribution. The shoulder strap system meets our comfort and ease of use expectations. The redesigned hip pad is a plus.
The JCR DL550s Stand Bag has ten pockets, including:
- Full-length apparel pocket
- Velour-lined valuables pouch
- Two Insulated beverage pockets
- A Smart Phone pocket with a clear window which keeps your golf GPS app visible
- Scorecard sleeve
- Ball and accessory pockets
- Six of the pockets come standard with waterproof zippers to protect your belongings
Regarding other attachment points, the bag has a towel loop, umbrella cord, pen sleeve, and divot tool sleeve.
AT BGCB, our philosophy around pockets has been to keep the pockets and storage system simple. Dan walked us through the bag’s ten pockets, and they were very well organized. In this instance, it did not feel like too many. JCR thought about organizing even the large pockets for more compartmentalized use.
Stability of the Bag
This JCR model has positioned the stand mechanism just below the top cuff. The bag legs do not extend forward as far as some bags to ensure they don’t over-extend. The bag has slightly enlarged feet to reduce sinking and slippage.
The stability features of the bag meet our expectations.
The JCR DL550s Stand Bag has:
- A rain hood
- A cart friendly base
- The clear window smartphone sleeve is unique
- Eleven color combinations, giving the buyer plenty of options to choose from
- 100% dobby nylon, which was substantial in heft and texture. The bag looked and felt like it would last for years.
The JCR suggested retail price is $180.
The $180 MSRP is in the lower quarter of our recommended full-featured carry bags. If you are looking for a high-quality stand bag that is stylish, durable, and not run-of-the-mill, we would highly recommend that you check out this upgraded carry bag.
If you like The Best Golf Carry Bags, check out our sister sites:
- The Best Golf Training Aids for golfers looking to improve their on-course performance.
- The Aggressive Fade if you are looking for the perfect golf-related gift.