I was recently able to catch up with Dan Langer, the owner of JCR Inc at the PGA Merchandise Show. It was great to have Dan walk through the upgrades to the original JCR DL550, now called the DL550s.
The upgraded bag has some small improvements over the original and makes a great bag even better.
Back in 2015/2016, when JCR Inc first launched, we were highly impressed with the company and the Firm’s owner and designer’s expertise and credentials.
A few years later, the company has matured and has made headway in some big box golf stores and across the internet. The refinements to the JCR DL550S Stand Bag should continue the company’s growth.
Take a look at our 2020 Buyer’s Guide to see our preferred carry/stand bag specifications. Click here.
JCR DL550S Stand Bag Features and Specifications
The weight of the JCR DL550s Stand Bag is roughly 5.8 pounds, including the shoulder straps.
This weight puts the DL550s as one of the heavier among our recommended models. It is clear that JCR wants a full-featured sturdy bag and will pass the test of time.
Getting Clubs In and Out of the Bag
The bag has a six-way, air mesh cushioned opening with six full-length dividers. The top opening measurement is 9.5″ x 8.5″.
This configuration is as close to our ideal top opening as a bag can come. Compared with other bags, the top divider padding is a plus.
Ease of Carrying the Bag
In terms of carrying the bag:
- The carry system is based on a four-point dual strap with a padded center hub
- The DL550s has upgraded the hip pad with a new, thicker four stripe, air mesh cushion.
- The bag has top rim, spine, and bottom handles for easy lifting options.
When we tried the bag on, we found the straps to be comfortable, and they promoted a balanced weight distribution. The shoulder strap system meets our expectations in terms of comfort and ease of use. The redesigned hip pad is a plus.
The JCR DL550s Stand Bag has ten pockets, including:
- Full-length apparel pocket
- Velour lined valuables pouch
- Two Insulated beverage pockets
- A Smart Phone pocket with a clear window which keeps your golf GPS app visible
- Scorecard sleeve
- Ball and accessory pockets
- Six of the pockets come standard with waterproof zippers to protect your belongings
In terms of other attachment points, the bag has a towel loop, umbrella cord, pen sleeve, and divot tool sleeve.
AT BGCB, our philosophy around pockets has been to keep the pockets and storage system simple. Dan walked us through the ten pockets that the bag offers, and they were very well organized, and in this instance, it did not feel like too many. JCR put some real thought into how to organize even the large pockets for more compartmentalized use.
Stability of the Bag
This JCR model has positioned the stand mechanism just below the top cuff. The bag legs do not extend forward as far as some bags to ensure that they don’t over-extend. The bag has slightly enlarged feet to reduce sinking and slippage.
The stability features of the bag meet our expectations.
The JCR DL550s Stand Bag has:
- A rain hood
- A cart friendly base
- The clear window smartphone sleeve is unique
- Eleven color combinations, giving the buyer plenty of options to choose from
- 100% dobby nylon, which was substantial in heft and texture. The bag looked and felt like it would last for years.
The JCR suggested retail price is $180.
The $180 MSRP is in the lower quarter of our recommended full feature carry bags. If you are looking for a high-quality stand bag that is stylish, durable, and not run-of-the-mill, we would highly recommend that you check out this upgraded carry bag.