What Has Changed for the Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Stand Bag for 2023?
Sun Mountain likes to update its products every year. 2023 is no different. The most significant changes to the 2023 Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Stand Bag are:
- Newly added cart strap pass-through, located behind the full-length apparel pocket. This makes it possible to strap the bag onto a cart without blocking its pockets
- An extended hip comfort pad
- Slight reorientation of two of the bag’s pockets
- Return to 9 pockets versus the 10 in the 2022 model. (LOL, when a bag gets above 7-8 pockets, I lose count)
Some changes to color schemes have also occurred, but the overall look remains in line with prior models.
The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Stand Bag weighs 3.8 pounds, including straps. The extra pound compared with the Sun Mountain 2.5+ allows thicker straps, a more cushioned hip pad, and several additional pockets.
This weight is among the lightest of the high-quality, full-service carry bags we review. As mentioned in our Buyer’s Guide, there is a tradeoff between weight and features. Generally, the lower the weight, the fewer the features and options.
Getting Clubs In and Out of the Bag
The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Bag has a nine-inch, four-way top with full-length dividers.
The bag’s opening is appropriate for the weight and size of this bag. The hidden benefit of having fewer dividers is that the dividers take up a lot of space and can interfere with getting clubs in and out of the bag. The top design easily accommodates putters with oversized grips.
Ease of Carrying the BagSun Mountain has standardized the strap system across its Light Series Stand Bag product line. All of the LS Bags have the EZ Lite Dual Strap System, which has the following:
- Thick, high-density padding, contoured to be wider at the top for greater shoulder comfort
- Straps that can be adjusted in terms of length at all four connection points to the bag’s body
- An innovative sliding mechanism that allows the rear strap to move along a connection rail at the center core as the golfer moves
We like this system because of the adjustability of the length of the straps and the potential dynamic movement of the rear strap. These features enable a more customized fit.
Beyond the strap system, the 3.5 LS also has an “Air-Flow” cushioned hip pad to further enhance comfort in walking the course. The hip pad was extended in size for 2023.
The bag has an integrated top handle, spine handle, and bottom loop for easy lifting options.
Given the upgraded strap system, padding, and light weight, the 3.5 LS is easy to carry for 18 holes.
The 2023 Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Bag now has nine exterior and interior pockets, including:
- Full-length apparel pocket
- A velour-lined and water-resistant valuables pocket
- Hydration pouch positioned for easy access
- Range finder pocket
- Multiple accessory pockets
Regarding other attachment points, the bag has an umbrella holder and towel ring.
The bag has our preferred number of pockets with ample storage and specialization.
Stability of the Bag
The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS features a top-mounted, patented bottom-release mechanism with high-strength carbon fiber legs.
The bag offers the leg mechanism features of a high-quality, stable stand bag.
The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Bag has the following:
- A matching rain hood
- Eight color options in 2023
- The 2023 model year does offer a left-handed configuration in black. This option is very rare!
- A comparatively compact profile
Sun Mountain’s manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the 2023 model is $269.99.
For the money, you will get a high-quality stand bag with a great array of features at a low weight.
One quick comment, while we love the 3.5 LS for its lighter weight, you should also check out the Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (reviewed here).
If you like The Best Golf Carry Bags, check out our sister sites:
- The Best Golf Training Aids for golfers looking to improve their on-course performance.
- The Aggressive Fade if you are looking for the perfect golf-related gift.