Setting Things Straight
- Other than color combinations, there are no significant differences between the 2019 and 2020 3.5 LS model years. The specs are the same. So, as you read below, the description is the same for both years. We tend to be frugal shoppers, so we prefer the 2019 model due to the price.
- One last thing, while we love the 3.5 LS for its lighter weight, our favorite Sun Mountain stand bag is the 4.5 LS (reviewed here).
The weight of the Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Stand Bag is 3.5 pounds, including straps. The extra pound compared with the Sun Mountain 2.5+ allows thicker straps, a more cushioned hip pad, and several additional pockets.
This weight is one of the lightest high-quality bags that we review. As mentioned in our Buyer’s Guide, there is a tradeoff between weight and features. Generally, within a product line, the lower the weight, the fewer the features and options.
Getting Clubs In and Out of the Bag
The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Bag has a four-way top with full-length dividers and a diameter of 9″, which was expanded in 2019 to increase ease of getting clubs in and out of the bag.
The opening of the bag is appropriate for the weight and size of this bag. The hidden benefit of having fewer dividers is that the dividers themselves take up a lot of space and can interfere with getting clubs in and out of the bag. The top design easily accommodates putters with over-sized grips.
Ease of Carrying the Bag
The bag has the X Strap System with high-density foam designed to be wider at the shoulder for greater comfort. The Strap System also features a strap guide to enable the two straps to interact with each other easily.
The 3.5 LS also has an “Air-Flow” cushioned hip pad. The bag has an integrated top handle, spine handle, and bottom loop for easy lifting options.
Given the padding and the bag’s light weight, this bag is easy to carry for 18 holes.
The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Bag has seven pockets, including:
- Full-length apparel pocket
- A velour-lined and water-resistant valuables pocket
- Range finder pocket
- Beverage pouch positioned for easy access
- Multiple accessory pockets
In terms of other attachment points, the bag has an umbrella holder, pen holder, glove holder, tee holders, and towel ring.
The bag has our preferred number of pockets with ample storage and specialization.
Stability of the Bag
The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS features a top-mounted, patented roller bottom leg mechanism with high-strength carbon fiber legs.
The bag offers the leg mechanism features of a high-quality, stable stand bag.
The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Bag has:
- A matching rain hood
- Six color options in 2019 and nine color options in 2020
- The 2020 model year does offer a left-handed configuration in black. This option is very rare!
- A comparatively compact profile
Sun Mountain’s suggested retail price for the 2019 model is $189.99, and the 2020 model is $239.99.
You will get a high-quality stand bag with a great array of features at a low weight for the money.
Click Below to Buy the 2019 Sun Mountain 3.5 LS
Click Below to Buy the 2020 Sun Mountain 3.5 LS