Sun Mountain 2.5 LS Stand/Carry Bag
The answer to “Which Left-Handed Golf Stand Bag Should I Buy?” is quite simple. There is only one option, and Sun Mountain makes it.
It has been estimated that about 10% of the population is left-handed. It has also been estimated that over 24 million individuals golfed last year in the US. If both statistics are accurate, there are probably over 2 million left-handed golfers in the US.
Two million golfers seem like a fairly decent sized market. And yet, Sun Mountain is the only major brand that makes a left-handed golf stand bag.
Sun Mountain offers the 3.5 LS Stand/Carry Bag in a left-handed configuration. In making a left-handed golf stand bag, Sun Mountain did their typical terrific job and did it right. Essentially, the bag has all of the same features as the right-handed 3.5 LS model, with the exception that the bag is built with a real left-handed orientation.
- The bag’s strap system is configured so that the top of the bag is oriented to the left side of the body
- The side pockets and hip pads are flipped in terms of side to best accommodate a left-handed golfer
The only limitation to the left-handed model is that it only comes in one color combination – black. This lack of color options goes back as long as I can remember.
Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Stand/Carry Bag Specifications and Features:
Sun Mountain does a great job of balancing the relatively light weight of the 3.5 LS Stand bag with an exceptional array of full-service features.
Weight: As its name indicates, the Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Stand Bag weighs 3.5 pounds, which is mid-range for the Sun Mountain line-up.
Top: The 3.5 LS comes with a padded, four-way top with full-length dividers and a diameter of 9-inches. The combination of the 9-inch top and four dividers works well in that the minimal number of top dividers leave plenty of room for a standard 14 club set.
Ease of Carry:
- The bag has Sun Mountain’s X Strap System with high-density foam. The straps are designed to be wider at the shoulder for greater comfort.
- The Strap System also features a center strap guide through which the two straps pass. This guide enables the two straps to adjust and shift the balance of the bag as the golfer walks
- The 3.5 LS has an “Air-Flow” cushioned hip pad for added comfort while walking the course
- Lastly, in terms of ease of carry, the bag has an integrated top handle, spine handle, and bottom loop for easy lifting options
Pockets and Attachment Points: The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS Stand Bag has seven pockets and multiple attachment points including:
- Full-length apparel pocket
- A velour-lined and water-resistant valuables pocket
- Range finder pocket
- Beverage pouch positioned for easy access
- An umbrella holder, pen holder, glove holder, tee holders, and towel ring
Leg System: The Sun Mountain 3.5 LS features a top-mounted, patented, bottom release mechanism with high-strength, lightweight carbon fiber legs.
Value: Sun Mountain’s suggested retail price for the 2020 model is $239.99. This MSRP is the same for both left-handed and right-handed models.
It is too bad that the golf industry hasn’t made more of an effort in catering to the left-handed golfer in terms of carry/stand bags. I guess, many left-handed golfers suck it up and play with a righty bag—just one more accommodation to a right-handed world.
But, at least, Sun Mountain has stepped in over the years to fill the left-handed golf stand bag void. In general, we love the 3.5 LS Stand Bag, left-handed or right, and would highly recommend it to any golfer looking for a full-featured, relatively lightweight stand bag. Enjoy.
One note about buying the left-handed version of the 3.5 LS on Amazon: The left-handed stand bag is displayed as one option among many right-handed 3.5 LS color options. Be careful in selecting the left-handed model out of the array of options.