A few years ago, when we attended the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, we asked a few of the leading vendors of women’s golf bags to explain what differentiates a women’s golf stand bag from a men’s bag.
The primary differences seemed to come down to three key things:
- The bags tended to be more stylish and have greater personality
- The pockets of the bags were tailored to more specialized uses
- Women’s golf stand bags were shorter than men’s golf carry bags to provide a better fit for the shorter length of women’s clubs
At that time many of the major vendors were innovating in the women’s space.
Apparently, as we look at 2023 options, the majors have stopped innovating and in some cases have abandoned the women-only market. For instance, OGIO in 2020 came out with the XIX Stand Bag 5, a women’s golf stand bag designed by women for women. That bag, which we love (and we reviewed here) has been discontinued, although still available in limited colors on Amazon.
Even Sun Mountain has slimmed its offerings. Yes, the 2.5+ and 3.5LS are available in a “womens” model, but the 2.5+ is essentially the same as the men’s bag just different colors. And the 3.5LS is only available in a 14-top and weighs 4.8 pounds. In 2021 Sun Mountain offered both a 14-top and a 4-top, with the 4-top only weighing 3.7 pounds.
Our best advice for women who are looking for a new stand bag and are serious about walking is to either:
- Check out our post on the Best Light Golf Bags, click here. For the most part the lighter the bag the more compact it is. Our selections are high quality and have great feature.
- Check out the OGIO XIX summarized below and with a full review here
OGIO Women’s 2020 XIX Stand Bag 5
- A bag designed by women, for women
- 4.4-pound weight for a full-featured, mid-size bag
- A flared 9″ elongated top with five openings that maximize useable club space
- Center hub-based strap system that allows the straps to dynamically adjust against each other for better load balancing.
- Better designed hip pad to fit a female body
- One-two inches shorter height than typical men’s stand bags
- Six pockets including a full-length apparel pocket, insulated cooler pocket, and a fleece-lined valuables pocket
The OGIO Womens XIX Stand Bag 5 is currently available in a limited number of color combinations through Amazon.
We will keep checking the offerings out there, to see if additional, high-quality, women’s golf stand bags come to market